One Born Every Minute
Top 10 Essentials for New Dads
New dads are always easy to pick out of a crowd. He’s the one shaking like a leaf, glazed look over his face, not knowing quite what to do next.
What dads need is a list of essentials from the dads and guys who came before them.
Pass this list on to a dad-to-be you know today – he’ll be more than thankful!
1. Protect, positively influence and nurture your kids. Your newborns are vulnerable. They need dads who will always look out for their best interests.
2. Protect, honor and support your partner and relationship. The most together dads never lose sight of this important advice.
3. Be present and savor the moment. Don’t let your long lists of responsibilities weigh down and overshadow all the amazing moments and emotions your new baby brings.
4. Be proud of your kids and being a dad. Feel free to show off your progeny, often.
5. Trust your new dad instincts. Go with your gut – it’s usually right.
6. Use common sense and keep a level head. Let’s face it, parenthood is hard, tries your patience and can make you quick to anger. Keep a cool head. If you can’t count to ten, try counting to three.
7. Do not fear asking for help and guidance. Your pride can get in the way of what’s best for your tiny tot. Be open to listening and getting support when you need it.
8. Try to use good judgment, wade through advice and information. Not every parent is an expert – not even our own. Some advice you get might not always be the best. Consider the source and learn how to filter.
9. Be an involved and engaged parent. Parenthood is trial and error. You’re above being detached; leave that to the other “dads” out there. Life is too short.
10. Remain true to yourself. Just because you’re a dad and partner doesn’t mean you can’t pursue the things that make you happy and healthy. Ultimately, including these pursuits makes for a better parent and happier dad.