Meaningful Mother’s Day Ideas
By Mollee Bauer, General Manager, Pregnancy.org
Our mothers, grandmothers, sisters and wives all inspire us to some degree. They believe and look out for us, too – even if we don’t deserve it.
How can you demonstrate your deep-felt gratitude for these heroes?
Honor and cherish them with a meaningful gift. Sure flowers and breakfast in bed are great, but we’re aiming for the heartstrings.
According to Dan Zadra, creative director of Compendium Inc, "Over the past 25 years, we've learned that the very best Mother's Day gifts are usually the ones that cost the least but mean the most."
Can’t figure out which way or where to go? Try these helpful suggestions:
- Make a donation to her favorite charity or organization in her name.
- Most moms consider their children the greatest gifts of all, but a close second is homemade gifts. These lovingly created treasures mean the world to mom.
- Flowers are always appreciated but why not step that up a notch and take mom to a botanical garden or garden tour? Find out what’s going on locally!
- Frame a photo of you and your mom -- macaroni is optional. On the back, glue an envelope and put a secret letter inside just for her, telling her how much you appreciate her.
- Buy mom a tree in her honor or one to plant in the yard. This is the gift that keeps on giving.
- Hand-write a letter describing some of your fondest and most beautiful childhood memories together. Put that together with a scrapbook of pictures, and you’re sure to bring on the waterworks.
- Purchase or create stationery or a box of cards. Pre-stamp and hand-write your address on the envelopes or cards.
- Does mom like to go on picnics or have a favorite museum? Plan the day and make it one she won’t forget! All that will be missing is the skywriter!
- Is mom the outdoorsy type? Opt for an outdoor adventure – perhaps her favorite hiking trail or new spot she’s wanted to explore!
- Gather up all those photos and bring them over to a retailer that can create a photo calendar. Each month mom will have something special to see and smile at. It still won’t get you off the hook from the weekly call however.
- Tell your wife or partner what an amazing job she’s doing. Let her know that you notice and care about all her efforts she puts forth daily. This will definitely win you some points. You can take one of the cards in the stationery set above and put something down like, “I have no idea how you keep up with two little kids and still keep the house beautiful.” We have to put a waterworks warning with this one too.
Most important of all, show your mother or the mom in your life, that you care. Make time for her, love her and that she taught you well!
What’s been the most meaningful gift you’ve received?
Happy Mother’s Day from our house to yours!
More Mother's Day: