Top Five Common New Parent “Mistakes”
By Laura Sussely-Pope, Pregnancy.org
Bringing your new baby home is exciting and daunting. While much of how to take care of your baby comes naturally, a lot doesn't. Some of it is learned by the school of hard knocks. Thankfully, our babies are more resilient than they appear and they have a wonderfully forgiving spirit (and short memory).
These are five of the most common mistakes new parents make but are common enough that they’re almost a rite of passage! Hopefully, reading these might help you avoid them altogether.
1. Oops! The baby fell off the couch! This one is extremely common. Thankfully, it rarely causes major damage, although of course it certainly can. We don’t think our baby can roll over, so we lay baby on the couch or bed, thinking he or she is secure enough. We walk away for a bottle or diaper for a minute and suddenly we hear a thud followed by a moment of complete silence and then a startled cry. We rush back, see baby on the carpet and are not only convinced we have “broken” the baby but beat ourselves up for the rest of the day, even once we realize they are okay. Of course, you should always make sure baby has not sustained injuries but this is a very common parenting “fail.”
2. Getting peed on by your baby boy. Oh yes. Nothing says you have a baby boy like getting sprayed in the face by pee. New moms are so tired their common sense doesn’t always kick in to avoid it. You can lay a diaper or cloth over their penis when it is exposed or simply point it downward. Yes, it really happens a lot.
3. Not properly diapering or cleaning baby in the middle of the night. Parents will sometimes find that they have double diapered, messily diapered or didn’t properly clean their baby. Why? Because they are walking zombies from lack of sleep! If you’re breastfeeding, you may also find that you are half naked and if you are bottle-feeding, you might find a bottle in the crib. Again, you’re exhausted. It gets better.
4. Packing everything but what you need. Ah, the first “outing.” Mom needs to go to out for just a short errand so she spends an hour packing the diaper bag. She’s ready for an overnight stay in the middle of the Sahara. But sure enough, she forgets the one item she ends up needing and it is a common sense item that she can’t believe she forgot!
5. Misunderstanding directions from a doctor. Remember – these are only funny when no one gets hurt! We have heard of moms who were told, for example that to cure their baby’s constipation they should try epsom salt. Great. But mom bathed baby in it rather than making an elixir out of it and feeding it to him. Needless to say, baby’s constipation was not cured!
What funny parenting mistakes have you made?