Tween and Teenagers
Top Five Hot Tween Topics
If you're the parent of a tween, I'm sure you've noticed that our kids truly have their finger on the pulse of what is hot, current, relevant and sometimes, truly annoying. From being introduced to two of the cutest little British girls I've ever seen, to insisting I watch a documentary about a grisly killer in Africa named Kony, in the last week alone, I've noticed that my daughter seems to be in the know of what's hot right now.
If you are the parent of a tween or teen and want to know what's hot in their world, here are the top five:
1. Move over Justin Bieber, One Direction is now the new IT boy band. About two months ago, I didn't even know this group existed until my girlfriend told me that her daughter was obsessed with them. The winners of the British version of X Factor has truly taken America by storm - jetting into New York City this week where they made an appearance on the Today Show amidst a sea of screaming tweeny boppers. My friend managed to get her daughter VIP passes plus scored tickets to their concert. I believe she officially has earned the title of Mother of the Year.
2. Invisible Children and Kony 2012 After a long day at the office, my daughter insisted that I sit down in front of laptop, put away my blackberry and watch a disturbing documentary about a man who has enslaved thousands of African children and has allegedly brainwashed them to kill their parents. The goal of Invisible Children is to make Kony famous so that U.S. forces can find and capture him. My son even asked that I buy him an "Action Kit" to help spread the word that Kony must be brought to justice. Meanwhile, the video they wanted me to see has already received than 40 million views!
3. The Hunger Games Coming to Theaters Every time my kids watch the trailer on TV, they look at me begging to take them to the opening of this much anticipated film. My daughter read one of the books and is a huge fan and her brother is begging to go too, but something tells me that he'll be having nightmares for weeks.
4. Smitten by Sophia Grace and Rosie Leave it to my daughter to show me a series of YouTube videos featuring two British girls who were plucked out of obscurity by Ellen Degeneres and are destined for super stardom. Take a look at their debut on Ellen, which has generated 12 million views and counting.
5. Tumblr and Tweens Have a tween who is begging you to blog? Then look no further than Tumblr. With Tumblr, they design their page for free and follow their friends and there are no secret passwords so you can see your child's page. That means that you get to see what they are posting and if they are following someone who posts questionable content that appears on your kid's blog, you simply make them unfollow that friend. Sure adults are obsessed with Pinterest, but Tweens are all about Tumblr.
Have a tween trend you'd like to share? Ask your tween to weigh in on what's hot!
More for moms of tweens and teens:
- Drama With Your Tween Over Going Out? Try This Tip (Video)