Top Five Weird and Common Pregnancy Cravings
By Laura Sussely-Pope, Pregnancy.org
Food cravings and being pregnant seem to go hand in hand. We’re all familiar with the typical pickles and ice cream, of course, and actually, pickle cravings (and pickle juice – yuck) is quite common. With my first pregnancy, I craved ice cream “drumsticks” – something I wasn’t even sure was still made. Thankfully, they were!
We thought pickle juice was gross enough but it turns out there are far weirder pregnancy cravings that aren’t so uncommon. Doctors attribute these cravings to “pica”, which, while most commonly associated with craving and eating dirt, is craving non-food substances in general. There is no definitive answer as to why this happens to people, let alone pregnant women.
Here are the top five weirdest cravings, in no particular order:
- Laundry detergent. Whether it’s powdered detergent or liquid laundry softener, some women can’t walk past a Laundromat without craving this soapy “treat.” For them, it may as well be what a bakery is to the rest of us. A sanitary snack certainly but not at all healthy!
- Dirt and mud. If you crave this, then gardening is likely not a good thing to do while pregnant. There is speculation this could be due to low iron but no one knows. If you crave dirt, at least you are in celebrity company as Britney Spears confessed that she, too, craved dirt when she was pregnant.
- Cigarette ashes. According to the American Pregnancy Association, this one is quite common. Okay, we know we’ve been warned about smoking but we were never warned about cigarette ashes! I saw a show recently that showed a woman who craved her husband’s ashes as well as cigarette ashes. So, it could always be worse.
- Wet cement. Yes, you read that right. Wet cement. It is not uncommon for pregnant women to look at wet cement and want to lick it! A bit embarrassing on the playground, I’m sure. Imagine the reversed roles – the little kid having to yell at the mom from the sandbox, “Stop licking that!”
- Smells. Many women crave certain smells that they would not find desirable if not for their pregnancy. Smell “cravings” include car exhaust, paint, the smell of dirt, and of course, wet cement!
What do you or did you crave? Maybe lots of people do or did, too – or you could have a one of a kind craving!