Craft Your Own Fun This Valentine’s Day!
When we think of Valentine's Day, images of red roses, heart-shaped boxes of chocolate and cupid come to mind. Also, integral to the holiday is the practice of sending cards. The tradition originated from a letter written by St. Valentine to his jailer's daughter on the eve of his execution. It was a message of love and although the holiday has morphed into something more secular the message remains the same – one of love.
In honor of this tradition and as a fun way to spend some time with your friends, host a Valentine’s Day Crafting Party this year. Keep it simple and special and the time will be enjoyed by you and your guests. Invite your gal pals over while the kids are in school to craft some very special Valentine’s Day messages and enjoy some simple treats and sweets.
Host your get-together in the morning after school starts. Serve hot chocolate, coffee and tea with fresh fruit, banana bread and homemade Cinnabons (for a Cinnabon recipe see The Partybluprints Blog). These are easy to eat while crafting and Moms always appreciate the treats. While you are enjoying conversation and breakfast, invite your guests to get busy crafting fun messages to loved ones by creating Felt Fortune Cookie Valentines. In the end, you will have spent the morning together having fun and everyone will walk away with a festive gift for the kids. Time well spent!
How to make a Felt Fortune Cookie:
These are a really original way to send a Valentine’s Day message to friends and family. Each Felt Fortune can house a special message and 2 Hershey’s Kisses. The kids will love receiving them and can participate if you like – it’s easy!
Materials: Red felt, sewing needle and red thread, Hershey’s Kisses, white paper, pen and scissors.
1. Pick up some red felt at your local craft store.
2. Cut out a circle, 4 inches in diameter.
3. Fold in half, creating a half moon shape.
4. With red thread, sew along the edge almost completely, leaving 1 inch at either end.
5. Cut a skinny strip of white paper and write your message, then slip into the felt fortune cookie.
6. Pop a Hershey’s Kiss in both ends of the Felt Fortune
7. Fold, creating a “pac man” / fortune cookie shape and stitch at the top of the fold to hold the shape.