The Skinny On How To Host A Healthy Party!
Summer makes everyone feel like having a party. However, hosting and attending lots of parties can mean putting on weight and that's not fun. I know that most people worry about gaining weight over the holidays, but for me, summer has always been the problem. That's when I put on the extra pounds. I entertain and go to lots of parties from June to August, where I eat BBQ and drink beer (I don't really drink beer any other time of year). It all seems to go to my belly and although I don't buy bikinis, summer clothes are definitely more revealing! By August I'm usually heading to the summer closeout sales to buy cover-ups that will hide my summer indulgences. Well not this year, I am sticking to a plan and have come up with 5 Golden Rules. These do not include dieting because I want to enjoy myself, instead they employ a strategy that will keep me at my current weight. Note: I am not a professional chef or nutritionist, just using my common sense
1. Lighten up on the dip. I'm a double dipper, I just love the stuff and I tend to overdo it. This summer, instead of eating or serving fattening party dips made with sour cream or cream cheese; I am keeping it healthy with fresh hummus and salsas. It's tastes just as good with veggies and multigrain chips.
Recipes: Fresh Hummus, Peach Watermelon Salsa.
2. Finish with fruit. I'm cutting down on the celebratory cake, cookies and pie and replacing it with fruit. I love fruit and with the treat of a small dollop of whipped cream, it's even more delicious! Recipe: Fabulous Fruit
3. Granita and Italian Ice instead of Ice cream. They are just as fun and when made with fresh fruit, they are a healthier and great tasting alternative. Recipe: Lemon Granita
4. Grill fish and veggies and ditch the dogs and hamburgers. Grilled and seasoned fish along with vegetables are out of this world! Eggplant, corn, tomatoes, peppers and summer squash picked from the garden or plucked from the farmers market are my favorite! Recipes: Grilled Shrimp And Vegetable Kabobs
5. Classic cocktails instead of beer. This is my best bet for a belly buster - 'nough said! Recipes: Summer Moscow Mule
Cheers and enjoy the party without putting on those extra pounds!
Check out more healthy summer stories:
- Get Fit For Summer On The Cheap
- Summer Excercise For Moms-To-Be
- Seasonal Foods That Help You Stay Slim