My Top 5 Soul Inspiring Reads
I just can't get enough of really good reading lately - it seems like with the heat and the summer and the children out of school routine, it's all I can do to bury my brain a bit in some really beautiful words. I don't feel normal or sane unless I'm reading some really great books, and my appetite for them has been simply huge during this entire season.
Here are my top 5 soul inspiring reads for the summer. None are "new" books, but they may be new to you. And I promise they will stir your soul:
1. The Collected Autobiographies of Maya Angelou by Maya Angelou - this book is a collection of all 6 of her autobiographical books, including the most famous "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings". I'm almost halfway through and can't get enough of Ms. Angelou's fascinating, heart wrenching and beautifully honest story.
2. Book of Longing by Leonard Cohen - this this book is a wonderful collection of poems, drawings, images, rants, recollections and celebrations. Try it and see if you aren't taken to another place.
3. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Ann Lamott - I feel like this book will teach you not only how to write, but how to be a person. It will inspire you, at the very least.
4. Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by C.S. Lewis - This is one of Lewis' writings I have yet to read, and in fact didn't know existed until I stumbled upon it this summer. It's one of his rarer fictions, and the mythology (based on the story of Cupid and Psyche) when put into Lewis' hands is really very magical. If you are a Lewis fan you will LOVE this, and everyone else might adore it as well.
5. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - while not for everyone, this classic is worth the read for it's beauty and hard honesty about a woman sinking into depression and beyond. Even sad stories can move you deeply without depressing you, and I love this one and can't wait to dig in again.
I'd love to hear your recommendations, what are some books on your reading list right now?