Outdoor Exercises To Get You Moving
I can't tell you how excited I am that the weather is finally making it possible to get outside and get out often! Here in the South I'm sure it's happening a whole lot sooner than those of you across the country, but rest assured that spring weather WILL be coming and soon you'll want some outdoor exercises to get those winter hips and thighs back into shape. Or is that just me?
What I like most about this time of year is that there's still time to slim down, and we can actually get some healthy vitamin D from the sun while we're doing the slimming. Here are my favorite outdoor exercises:
1. Surge Walking - Regular walking is fine, but how about kicking it up just a notch? Do a set of 30 - 20-30- seconds of fast walking - seconds of slow walking - seconds of fast walking. Do this 3 times. I guarantee, it sounds MUCH easier than it is! It's a great way to keep the heartrate up without getting it too high, and clicking your body over into fat burning mode.
2. Lunges - One of the best way to tone my Christmas cookie hips and thighs is lunges. I start small, only a few reps, and do this in between walking sets. I always keep my legs parallel to the ground and knees level with toes, so that my knees are crying by the third lunge. As you get better at this you can even add light weights - imagine how great you'll feel!
3. Duck Walking - This is like lunges but advanced. Truth be told? I hate them. However, they're so effective, duck walking and I can't break up just yet. What is it? You squat down, parallel to the ground, and walk that way. Just do it as long as you can. Keep your back flat and don't get mad at me when you're sore tomorrow. Thank me when you start to see a different in inches off your bum!
4. Hooping - Hula hoops are the newest craze - do you hoop yet? This is hoops for grownups, and it is an incredible workout! Obviously hooping can be done indoors, but I think it's just so much fun to do outside, the kids get their hoops and I get mine!
5. Yoga - As always, I can never leave yoga out of any best exercise list. It's not only calming, but a very good workout too. Ending my walking with a calm yoga routine, or doing just one epic yoga workout outside on my mat - either way I'm so grateful for this beautiful practice. The flexibility, muscle toning and strength building can't be beat.